Friday, August 26, 2011

San Ardo

Summer is almost at its end as we approach the home stretch of the 2012 season. It's the time when everyone has peaked or is in the process of peaking their fitness. Even my tan lines are approaching their peak contrasts. For everyone that has seen me in person lately, you have probably noticed I have now developed a helmet strap tan line. It's made the recent trips out in the public, awkward. I haven't had anyone comment on them yet, but I can see the eager question marks on their faces as I walk on by. A few weeks ago as I was getting out of the shower, I got a glance of my back in the mirror and noticed that even there, I developed a tan line. What tan line can I possibly have on my back? Because the jersey that I wear is so thin the rays from the sun persist through it. Thus creating the most awkwardly looking tan line yet, the bib tan line.

Anyways, last weekend I competed in the San Ardo Road Race. I entered it mainly for experience. It was a course that featured rolling terrain with a few flat sections along the way. The first half of the race I spent my time attacking and chasing almost every move in a desperate attempt to get myself into a break. I was able to get into a break of seven for a little awhile. Our advantage wasn't even able to get over a minute.  We were brought back pretty quickly. As we got reeled in, I positioned myself back into middle of the pack. I glanced down to notice that I had a front flat. So I went to the back and waited for the pit car.  I went to the back of the wheel car, grabbed my front wheel and threw it on my bike. I was looking at about a 40 second gap to chase down. I chased as hard as could and ten miles later I was back on. Then I sat on the back of the pack recovering from the recent effort. Not even a kilometer later I hear a massive blow out from someones tire. I looked down, and guess what I saw. You guessed it, I managed to get myself yet another flat. This time it was a rear.  So I got off my bike yet again to change the rear wheel.  For whatever reason the peleton's pace ramped up right as I was flatting. Which for a even more "fun" chase. This chase really took it out of me. I chased for a solid half hour and caught back on just as I thought I wasn't going to make it. For the remainder of the race I sat in the pack trying to stay safe. It came down to a sprint and I had nothing left after my chases so I finished with the pack. Although a disappointing race, it was really fun. From the bumpy terrain to the all out chases, I had fun. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment